While this subjectivity can be viewed as something positive; that we are not 'heartless' beings like those in the hypermodern developed countries e.g Japan or Singapore, that sometimes when you're on the right side (I'm not talking about right as in truthful), everything comes easy for you. A friend of mine who lived in Singapore once told me that while living in Indonesia, he had more faith compared to Singapore. "If you're going to work or a meet up, in Singapore if you're late you are definitely late. The MRTs won't come earlier or later, the schedules are all fixed. In Indonesia, if you're late, chances are the train or bus won't leave until they are fully occupied, so by luck you might not be late." This I can relate very well. In Indonesia, if you want to watch a concert like, really really bad, and all the tickets are sold out, just have a little faith and come to the venue, there will be tons of 'calos', and you can even get a cheaper ticket price if you know the strategy.
But of course, subjectivity is often viewed as a negative thing.
For example, I hate that I can't actually express my feelings out loud (by loud I probably meant on this blog but still hey it's the internet it's literally world wide so moving on) or act the way I really want to without being judged for who I am (by who I am I meant who people think I am based on that side of me that I chose to show to them, thank you very much) (see what I just did? I always have the urge to justify myself from anybody's judgement while saying what's really on my mind), and always constantly thinking of how to not offend anyone unintentionally by everything I did or didn't do, because your actions are how people 'define' you, whatever your real reasons might be.
For those who are fond of sharing their thoughts so openly, subjectivity can often be an advantage. But for those who are not, this subjectivity can led to them feeling terribly lonely in their own skin.
(There is so so much negative views on subjectivity such as nepotism and, well, unfairness and the list goes on and on, but then again, not a single thing in this world isn't a double edged sword anyway, so)
Well this is just a piece that has been lingering on my mind after I finished Murakami's new book, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage. He's a very lonely person, the protagonist, but I kind of like him. There's some sort of, I guess, beauty, when people admit and accept that they are lonely because the truth is, we always are. When we first came here, throughout life, always alone in one's mind, and when we leave, we are always alone. People always try the hardest not to feel lonely, trough relationships, music, movies, books and all sorts of philosophies, and as a result, someone who is 'alone' is labeled as a weirdo, when in reality they are all very lonely beings. We all are.
Someone once told me, that inside of everyone, there is an almost limitless gap, that no amount of relationships, of prosperity, of anything in this very limited world, can fill. People are so lost and oblivious that they started finding temporary refuge in their work, their relationships with friends, family, lovers, in their passions, hobbies or their liking, in drugs or alcohol, maybe, but they didn't realize that those cannot fill this gap. Nothing in this world can. This might sound rather subjective and naive to some people, but he said it's because we have been separated from our Creator. It ripped a part of us and left a hole, something that only He can fill.
I'm not really in the mood to defend my belief so, there you go. I'll leave you with a quote from Murakami that is sort of about this subjective objective shit:
“Our lives are like a complex musical score, Tsukuru thought. Filled with all sorts of cryptic writing, sixteenth and thirty-second notes and other strange signs. It’s next to impossible to correctly interpret these, and even if you could, and then could transpose them into the correct sounds, there’s no guarantee that people would correctly understand, or appreciate, the meaning therein. No guarantee it would make people happy. Why must the workings of people’s lives be so convoluted?”