Revolt in paradise

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Goodbye, K.

Earlier today, a friend of mine died. I don't really know if I were classified as a friend by him, but he's in the same grade as I am. He's a friend of a close friend, so we go as far as exchanging smiles while passing each other on the hallways, but I've never really talked to him.

Which I regret a lot. Because I knew he was a cool person.

Anyway, few days before he died, my friend that is a friend of his just told me about this sort of secret that this guy is dating a rather popular girl in my grade, which was odd because nobody has ever talked about this, ever. And I'm pretty updated when it comes to gossips, so that was weird.

The next day, another friend of us told us about this other gossip of the same popular girl being rude to this 'anonymous' guy who bought her a life sized teddy bear (or a doll of some sort) for her birthday. Needless to say, we suspected that poor guy was, umm, my friend.

So anyway today he died. The news came from my year 2013 group, through a screencapture of his brother chatting via his bbm. I know I didn't know him and sort, but I was just talking about him (which I've ever only done once in my life while he was alive, I swear) days ago. I was pretty upset.

Inbetween the deep condolences stated by my other friends in the group, the popular girl suddenly shared a screencapture of her bbm chat with him, probably his last one before his death. What's even more devastating is the fact that he was being really, really sweet and all while this girl was replying with only 2 short words at a time.

That sucks. Really bad.

Well, that's the end of the story. No matter what I do, I can't change the ending. That's that. There's no chapter where he realized she didn't truly love him and found another girl who loved him just as much. There's no chapter where she realized he was a great person and decided to treat him the way he deserves to be treated. He loved him, and she did not. The end, life sucks.

But, on the other hand, I also thought this was the way. The way to be remembered. Like all those who died young. John Lennon, Kurt Cobain and the 27 club, River Phoenix. I doubt that if they're still alive now they will be 'glorified' and adored and appreciated as much as they are now.

Why is it that we never appreciate things? Why didn't I talk to him? Why didn't I tell him I think he was cool and kind and all the good things I told about him just now? Why don't I make the most of my life as if it's gonna end anytime soon (like really, really soon)?

What made us think we're so invincible?